|Dala’s new Picture Perfect, a versatile picture transferring medium, allows you to decorate clothing, cushions, bedding or anything else made from fabric with your favourite snapshots. This new, easy-to-use product is not only ideal to use for fabric scrap booking projects, but also to create special gifts and home décor items.
YOU WILL NEED:
- Cotton T-shirt
- Photocopy of picture
- Dala Picture Perfect
- Dala Fabric Paint
- Dala Fabric Artliners
- Temporary ink fabric pen (optional)
- Plastic bags
- Flat paintbrush
- Small paintbrush for fabric paint
- Paper towel
- Rolling pin, cardboard tube or wine bottle
- Place plastic bag on the inside of T-shirt under the area where picture will be placed (to protect fabric).
- Place picture with image upwards on a plastic bag and apply a generous layer of Picture Perfect to the front of image.
- Take image off plastic bag, turn over and gently place image, Picture Perfect side down to T-shirt and carefully roll flat using Rolling pin, cardboard tube or wine bottle.
- Protect picture with another plastic bag and use something heavy and flat to weigh it down. Let it dry overnight.
- Remove plastic bag and weight. Dampen surface of picture with paper towel (do not flood T-shirt) – leave paper towel on for 10 minutes to soak through.
- Remove wet paper towel.
- With fingers begin carefully to roll the paper backing off the image.
- At first the paper will roll off in thick bits, getting finer once you are nearer the image.
- Do not rub with extreme pressure or try to take too much backing off at once – start from one side to the other.
- Rough movements will eventually remove the image itself, so it is very important to work slowly and take your time – feel with your fingers!
- Let dry – once dry you can see where the paper still has to be removed – it will look whitish.
- Again dampen only areas to be removed by sponging gently with damp paper towel and rolling off with very small, light circular movements of the finger/thumb.
- Once all backing paper has been removed, dry completely (about an hour).
- Apply a further thin layer of Picture Perfect onto image area only by either using fingers and massaging gently into picture or flat paint brush– ensure edges are also covered.
- Dry well and decorate with fabric paints and liners if desired.
- Dry overnight and then use a hot iron (no steam) for 3 – 5 minutes on reverse side of T-shirt or protect image with a cotton cloth – this heat sets the Picture Perfect and the fabric paint and liners. Failure to heat set will result in the picture and paint coming off in the wash.
- Do not use original photos, but rather photocopy, or laser copy the photo.
- Decoupage paper images may be used – no tissue paper.
- Black and white or sepia coloured prints will result in a stunning “scrap-booking” look for a special pillowcase or cushion.